Canterbury City Council is hosting two modules of the new IED (Institute of Economic Development) Introduction to Economic Development programme in Kent.
The new half-day modules are designed to give those new to economic development a real flavour of some of the key disciplines and the following two modules will be run over the course of one day.
Module 1. An introduction to Economic Development
This half-day CPD course is intended to provide a broad introduction to economic development, what it is, who are the key players and how it can be delivered. The course is designed for people working in a role which requires a wide understanding of the role economic development plays in driving vibrant and sustainable economies. It is aimed at creating a good understanding for both economic development practitioners and those who have recently become involved in economic development, including councillors and Local Enterprise Partnership board members.
Topics that will be covered as part of this course include:
- The economic development landscape – what form economic development takes in different places and the key players involved
- The government’s approach to economic development
- The role and remit of Local Economic Partnerships (LEPs)
- Funding streams available to support economic development
Module 2. Economic Development’s role in attracting and securing investment.
This half-day session is intended to introduce the activities involved in the promotion of an area and the attraction of inward investment interest and converting projects into successful investments. In particular the detailed comparative data and financial information involved in creating a compelling investment case – and what makes a difference in inward investment attraction.
Some of the topics that will be covered as part of this course include:
- Detailed comparative analysis of locations securing investment, the origin of investment and the sectors generating projects
- Why companies invest overseas and the response of agencies in attraction
- Developing a headline case for the attraction of investment
- How companies make investment decisions
Nigel Wilcock, Executive Director of the IED.
As we are hosting both of these events in one day we are able to offer a 50% discount on the normal rate, we are not able to split the cost for half-day attendance.
£90 + vat for IED members and £120 + vat for non-members for BOTH modules, includes lunch. (usual cost per module) Members click on non IED price the adjustment will be made at point of invoice.
This is a rare opportunity to book professional CPD locally.
Spaces are limited to 20 so book soon!
By registering for this event you are committing to a place and an invoice will be raised, please include your full address for invoicing.
Update: A general election has been called for 12th December but this will not affect the running of this event which is scheduled to continue as planned.