The Whitstable Yoga Festival 2018 (WYF) is an annual event celebrating the practice and knowledge of Yoga. It is the brainchild of Yoga teacher, Monica Marini who inspired by the growing number of festivals in the world decided to create a platform for local Yoga teachers and students to come together. Joining forces with friend and fellow yoga teacher Bernadette Fisher, Monica brought the festival to life in June 2017.
With no sponsors or grants, working on a shoe-string and using only local resources, they managed to cover the costs of the festival and raised a £1000 for charity! The teachers gave their time for free and with a staggering 270 tickets sold over two days, the first festival succeeded beyond anyone’s expectations.
People from all over East Kent came to practice a wide range of Yoga classes, try treatments, sample ethical products in the specialist traders area, and enjoy delicious locally produced vegan food in a great community atmosphere.
Last year 200 participants took part in the festival. This year we intend to double the size of the event with three venues across town: The Horsebridge Centre, St John’s Methodist Church and Whitstable Community Umbrella Centre.
Plans for Whitstable Yoga Festival 2018 on June16th and 17th 2018 are well underway. Our aims are to:
● Increase the number and range of classes on offer including a masterclass, yoga for older people and disabled children;
● Pay each teacher a nominal fee, so that more teachers can take part;
● Have a ‘mini’ festival within the festival with dedicated yoga classes for children and teenagers.
● Give our marketplace a more prominent and accessible position in the garden of the Umbrella centre;
● Draw from the creative pool of local traders, artists and musicians to widen and enhance people’s experience of the festival and of yoga’s values and lifestyle;
● Be a vegan and vegetarian event and a single-use Plastics Free Zone participating in the Council’s efforts to curb the ‘scourge’ of plastic pollution.
We believe that yoga (including asana (poses), breathing, and meditation) is a powerful and practical tool for physical and mental wellbeing and wish to make it more accessible through the festival and other year-round events.
Our vision is to foster health and wellness in our community and beyond by making WYF an annual event that will put Whitstable on the map of the growing global Yoga movement, attracting a new wave of visitors to the coastal town of Whitstable and surrounding areas. With an exciting programme of classes, seminars, and meditation classes we want to make yoga, health, and wellness accessible to all and help build a stronger sense of community. With your support, we can make it happen. We need the help of the business community.
If you would be interested in being a sponsor, please contact: Monica Marini: firstname.lastname@example.org